Moving outside our church and into the community gives us avenues to extend love and grace to people who do not experience it in their daily lives. It is a way to live the gospel in words and deeds, a way to build intentional relationships with people who matter to God. Equally important, it is an avenue God uses to deepen our faith, making these actions a part of our personal discipleship process. 1 John 3:16-19.
CARING FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE EXPERIENCING HARD CIRCUMSTANCES:
We respond to the needs of individuals who "stop in" to Westwood with requests for help. We provide prayer, mentors, financial counselors, advocacy, referals, and practical help. Office hours are on Thursdays. Contact: Becky, email@example.com, for information or call the church for a Thursday appointment, 866-6888.
Other Community Care at Westwood:
The food pantry is open from 8-5 on weekdays. See the receptionist for information. The food pantry operates exclusively on donations from the congregation. Food pantry needs:
- cracker packs
- canned ravioli, spaghetti-o's, beanie weenies, tuna, or other shelf-stable protiens.
- soup, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, chilli
- canned fruit
- canned vegetables
- peanut butter
- cake mix and frosting
- cereal, granola bars, breakfast items
- ramen noodles
- pasta and rice
- dry beans
- dry milk
- jello and pudding
FAMILY SUPPORT CENTER, fscs.org:
- A team of Westwood people greet pre-screened shelter guests and get them settled into the shelter on Saturday nights.
- Come from 5-7 to check-in and welcome families to the shelter at First Christian Church in downtown Olympia. This is a great way to meet new people, and invite them to church
- Call Donna to sign up. 360-489-1156 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Westwood collects items for the Comfort Bags we give out, offering relief to people needing encouragement.
- Volunteers are needed to provide supplies, sew bags, and sort and deliver the bags.
- Contact: Sharon Boring, email@example.com for added details.
- We develop on-going, supportive relationships with families at Evergreen Vista Apartments.
- Many of the children at EV attend our Summer Hummer day camp and our AWANA program.
- We need someone to transport (in the church van) the junior high students to The Edge (Wednesday night Jr Hi program). and Kerusso (Sr. High Youth Group on Tuesday nights). This is a great way for someone to encourage the young people as they ride to and from each week.
- Come join the core team! The team prays, plans activities/ events and meets together to consider the specific needs we observe.
- Contact: Martha M., firstname.lastname@example.org for details/questions.
COACH POST TRAILER PARK:
- We develop on-going, supportive relationships with families at Coach Post. We pray and walk each Thursday, meeting needs as it is God leads us.
- Join the team! We work together to listen to God’s promptings and respond with what seems right to do.
- We hope to develop a community garden at Coach Post this spring. If you have an interest in gardening, we could use your expertise!
- Contact: Becky at 360-866-6888
Care Ministry page click here